Friday, July 22, 2016

FIGURE DRAWING FOR ANIMATION CARTOONISTS

For the kind of model session that Theory Corner cartoonists might like, I'd I like to see a catwalk made of collapsible tables.


The model would walk on that.

If the model was a dancer, even an amateur dancer, that would be great. 


Of course the catwalk makes possible a dance that's also a walk. I see the individual poses as lasting no more than three or four minutes. I kinda like the idea of overlapping some of the drawings to get the effect you see above.


A catwalk makes it easier to do funny walks and eccentric dancing.


There's no end of funny walks.


Some walks and dances look better when more than one dancer does them. No problem. You just sketch in the clones after class.


Two models can become eight, as in this dance of Fosse's: The Rich Man's Frug."


Or one man becomes three. The choreography for a session like this could be improvised or planned. Me, I'd love to think of moves  for sidemen to do.

Poses involving animals like horses are no problem. You draw the model-driven rider poses then add the cartoony horses later. 


Or the cow.


If you had two models doing different walks at the same time you could combine the drawings in a sort of collage.


Remember to bring some tape.


4 comments:

nodnarB said...

These are great ideas! I often go into a session with the intention to have a "cartoony" day, but I end up trying for a realistic approach. Reading this post has me inspired to try again this week! A couple of the models we have are dancers, and they are really great! One of the guys I draw with at the session says it's because dancers know how to place their feet in a pose to make it interesting. How do you like to tackle a figure drawing session?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Nodnar: Thanks! Me, If I were a student I'd prefer heavily instructed drawing with an active teacher who corrects students as they draw. I admit that this isn't for everybody. Whenever I've polled students in the past I was amazed to find that half the class wanted the teacher to leave them alone when they draw. The only way a school can navigate this divide is to offer lots of life drawing opportunities of different kinds, some for credit, some not; some by experienced staff teachers, some by flamboyant temporary instructors.


Kelly Toon said...

Your recent posts reminded me of this terrific short on the subject: https://youtu.be/Qsxm4mUjf4w

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kelly: Wow! Many thanks for the great film. I'll post it in my next art school post!