Wednesday, June 08, 2016

MILT GROSS AND RUBE GOLDBERG

Two of my favorite cartoonists were Milt Gross and Rube Goldberg. Milt Gross often gave top flight poses to all the players in the frame, both the aggressors and the reactors. 


Rube Goldberg staged everybody in the same shot too, but frequently gave the best poses to the reactors, as in the in the strip above.


Okay, he sometimes gave the aggressor (above) the best poses, but you you see what I'm getting at.


I've been influenced by Goldberg so in photo stories, like the kind I do on this blog, I usually give the emphasis to the listener.


 Here's excerpts from a photo story I did in June, 2009. The girl (played by me) is surprised when her stupid ex-boyfriend (off screen) approaches her in a restaurant. I'll leave out the dialogue.


 She humors him, hoping he'll go away.


 But he doesn't.

He says that, now that he knows she hangs out at this restaurant, he'll hang out there too.


 Yes sir, they'll be inseparable from now on.


 The boyfriend bids goodbye for now...


 ...but adds that he'll be back.


 Well, it goes on. You can link to the whole thing on the side bar. The story's called "The Ex-boyfriend."


The odd thing is that, despite my affection for reactive acting, the animation I worked on usually put the emphasis on the speaker.


That's because I like to work with aggressive characters. They're appealing. The audience naturally wants to see what they're doing, and so do I. Even so, I had a lot of Goldbergian fun working on the reactive scenes and I wish I could have done more of them.

BTW: the last two pictures above aren't mine.

2 comments:

Kelly Toon said...

I love all of your posts. I hope you never stop sharing your theories. Milt Gross forever.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kelly: Yikes! I thought I answered but just discovered that I didn't. Anyway, thanks for the kind words!