Saturday, January 02, 2016

BEDROOM DESIGN


Here's (above) a bedroom from Frank Lloyd Wright's Heart Island House. What do you think of it? For me it's too formal, too much like a terrific living room that just happens to have a bed in it. It lacks..."bedroomness." Wright was a peerless designer of living rooms but his imagination failed him when it came to bedrooms and kitchens.


 Ditto for Cliff May, another of my favorite architects. Bedrooms seem to have bored him. This one (above) looks like he devoted no thought to it at all.



For good bedroom ideas I find myself turning to less well-known designers. What do you think of this dark, low ceiling bedroom (above)? It's cozy and fun...evocative, too. It's like a Goldrush cabin in the Klondike or the Captain's quarters of an old 19th Century sailing ship.

I like to imagine that this room is one or two steps down from the level of the rest of the house, and that prompts an interesting question: is it a good idea to graft a cool historical bedroom onto a stylistically modern house? I'd say yes, but lots of people would disagree.



I like this (above) well-lit Ikea bedroom. I don't like what looks like a plain particle board cupboard on the extreme left, but the general layout seems fine. You can't see it from this angle but the headboard of the bed is a bookshelf on the side that faces the window. There's room to walk back there.


Here's a modest but still cozy bedroom idea, also from Ikea. It's cheery and even pleasingly austere, as if a nun sleeps there. Once again the lighting makes a big difference.


2 comments:

nodnarB said...

I think the gold rush cabin bedroom is far and away the best one. The ikea's are pretty cool, but feel cold. (maybe because of the lighting?) But the Cliff May and Wright bedrooms are totally cold and unfeeling! I'm amazed at how terrible they look! But I might feel different if I was actually in the room.

Stephen Worth said...

One nice thing about the Wright room is that all the lighting is indirect. One thing I hate when I lie in bed is staring up at the bright bulb in the middle of the ceiling. Having the light come from around corners like that would be very comfortable.