Wednesday, December 09, 2015

CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS

Marionettes are a great gift. The hand-carved ones can be pricey, though. The one above costs $1100!!!!  It's worth it if you have the money, but if you don't there's no shortage of worthy mass produced ones...or you can make one yourself out of cardboard.

 How about a John K t-shirt!?

How 'bout a John K doll?



...or a Calder-type mobile? The knock-offs aren't always designed well, but now and then a decent one pops up. If you can't find one worth buying you can make your own. There's some good YouTube instruction on the subject.




Calder also did a lot of wire sculptures (above). I made some myself using my own designs and they turned out great! I had them (sans wooden stand) in the window for years. All you need is wire, needle-nose pliers, and something to bend the wire around like a board with a nail in it.


Framed fine art prints make a good gift. Use glass or vinyl in the frame only if the picture is light-colored.

I like Mexican dioramas. I have a little one similar to this (above) on my bulletin board.



How about a framed picture of Doberman's Sister (above)?


It'll look good next to your friend's picture of Percy Dovetonsils.


Or his picture of Ben Turpin.

Or Reggie Van Gleason.


Last but not least, how about an Edith Piaff CD? Everybody likes Edith Piaf!

3 comments:

Mr. Trombley said...

I'm coming back from Warsaw for Christmas, so everyone this year is getting a variation on Polish Chocolate. Chocolate covered marzipan, chocolate bars, chocolate statues, chocolate liqueur, etc.. I was told that Amber jewelry in Warsaw is very nice, but I couldn't find the shop. Of course, there's still plenty of time to order some K brand goodies once I get back to the ol' US of A!

Unknown said...

This post has so many valuable ideas! Like marrionettes. I bet your house looks like mr magoriums wonder emporium

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Vienna: I have some of this on my walls but others await more wall space in a (hopefully) bigger house.

Mr. T: Warsaw!? I'm envious!