Thursday, January 09, 2014

THE NEW CAROL BURNETT DVD SET

A new set of Carol Burnett TV shows came out recently and my library got a copy. What a gold mine! Gee, I miss that show. Burnett played a host of characters that were just hilarious. Here (above) she parodies Norma Desmond from Billy Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard." 


And who's she sitting with? Is that Daddy Warbucks? No it's Harvey Corman playing Max, Norma Desmond's manservant.  Thanks to Mike for identifying these characters. 


I think this character (above, right) is called Eunice. Burnett played the role so well that you can't help but speculate that she grew up with a real Eunice in her life.


Haw! Eunice's mother (far right) sits with her legs far apart, which was strangely common among grannies of my grandmother's generation. Maybe that was a Flapper thing to do. 


Older women of that generation also stood up in an awkward way, like Carol does above. I wonder why. 
  
This (above) is from a flashback showing how Eunice was courted by her husband.


She wiggles out of his clutches and springs to her feet, as if she were delivering a manifesto. Note the see-through blouse...pretty racy stuff for 60s TV.


She did a great parody of beach movies. How do you like the way she dances the Hully Gully?


Here's (above) Burnett doing a dim-witted secretary, Miss Wiggins.


Tim Conway was her boss. I like the pot belly.


To get his secretary's attention he says, "Read my lips," and she does....diligently.


6 comments:

mike fontanelli said...

The top scan is Carol as Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) from Billy Wilder's SUNSET BOULEVARD. Harvey Korman is playing her manservant, "Max" (Erich Von Stroheim). The blonde bimbo secretary was a recurring character named Mrs. Wiggins. Tim Conway co-starred as her exasperated Swedish boss, Mr. Tudball.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Mike: So THAT'S who these people are! Many thanks!

Unknown said...

I used to watch some of the black and white Carol Burnett shows on PBS and they were pretty good. I'll try to look into getting this.

Also I think I'm moving into my college suite either on Saturday or Sunday. I'll keep you updated on details.

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

HAHA, of course! I thought that top face looked familiar. Sunset Boulevard is great but that face Ms. Swanson makes is crazy.

Carol Burnett, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman are a great team. I'd consider buying the DVD's if Amazon carried copies for New Zealand DVD players.

I recently saw a box-set of 'Frankenstein' and 'Bride of Frankenstein' for $5 but it was for American DVD players. Curses!! Foiled again by DVD region-codes.

Stephen Worth said...

My mom used to ask me to play guitar for the folks in an Alzheimer's home. They played Carol Burnett show 24/7 in their living room. It was sad, but I still couldn't help laughing. I remember all of those sketches and the Gone With the Wind one too. When I would start laughing, all the Altzheimer's folks would start laughing too. I suppose that's a good thing.

Unknown said...

Hey Uncle Eddie!

Thanks so much for posting this! I LOVE the Carol Burnett show! One of my favorite Carol moments is her take on classic movies. Have you ever seen Mildred Fierce, with Vicki Lawrence as the spoiled Veda.

The Tim Conway/Harvey Korman teaming was comedic genius! Oh, and the 'imfamous' Elephant sketch on where Mama (Vicki Lawrence) gets one over on Tim. It's an embarrassment of comedic riches!