Tuesday, November 05, 2013

PICASSO THEATRE

The set design in "Rabbit of Seville" is great, but who did it? I'm guessing Maurice Noble designed it and Phil DeGaurd (spelled right?) painted it, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, whoever did it was obviously referencing Picasso.

[Thanks to Roberto who commented that Gribbroek was responsible.]


Even before Picasso some set designs looked like they were made of cardboard. They looked like blown-up versions of the little paper tabletop models designers liked to make. Picasso seems to have taken a like to that look and accentuated it rather than covered it up.

You see that in Picasso's theater sketches. The sets look like paper dollhouses.



I couldn't find any sketch that looked exactly like the one in the Jones cartoon, but I came up with some similar ones.


Geez, that chandelier looks obscene!


4 comments:

mike fontanelli said...

Looks more like Stuart Davis than Picasso. BTW, speaking of Picasso*, I just picked up the new Virgil Partch book from Fantagraphics.

Eddie, hold onto you pants. Not only is it an absolute must-have, it's one of the greatest cartoon art books ever published! I'm NOT kidding. I'm gonna review it on Amazon as soon as I get a chance.

(*Although "VIP" was influenced by Picasso, he was more talented and much less of a huckster - and of course, a whole LOT funnier!)

Unknown said...

I've always loved that cartoon as a kid and it's still one of the most memorable Warner cartoons ever made. I love how stylized the backgrounds were without being overly pretentious. This is my favorite period in Chuck Jones' career.

By the way, Robert Gibbroek is credited with layouts on this cartoon.

Unknown said...

Ooops, I meant to spell his last name as Gribbroek.

Mike: I'm gonna try buying it tonight or ASAP. Thanks for the heads up!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Thanks for the correction!!!