Saturday, November 23, 2013

LATEST TRIP TO DISNEYLAND (PART II)

This post is for architecture fans. Disneyland is an architect's dream, even when it's a bit overwrought or hokey. Here's a few examples. See what you think.


Even on a gloomy, overcast day like this the landscaping looked terrific. I could easily have photographed nothing but that all day. The tallest shrubs (trees?) here are only about as tall as a person.


Even industrial sites look good in this park.


And why shouldn't industry look good? It has a noble purpose, which is to make useful or beautiful things in quantities which will allow them to sell for low prices.


Every time I go to Disneyland I come back with a resolve to make my backyard look like Disney's cannibal village. I actually tried it once and was surprised to see that my kids were indifferent to it.


Nice shield!


Above, that crossbar and faux giraffe skin add a lot to that pole.


Nice bamboo stakes! I'll have to remember this when I decorate my porch next Halloween.


Here's (above) a low roof supported by columns in Fantasyland. Walless sections of buildings like this aren't very useful for keeping cold air out, but they're psychologically sheltering, and make for great indoor/outdoor transitions. For some reason this sort of thing never caught on in America except on railroad platforms.


Remember the stage set for Disneyland's Animation Academy that I posted about last time? Here's a few blurry pictures (sorry about that) to show details of that set. Check out that framed picture on the wall showing what I assume is a winning hand in a card game. It never occurred to me to frame things like that. It looks good.


Here's (upper left) a bulletin board framed in thick, quality wood that matches the wood in the shelf stack beneath it. It's a nice look.


In a different location now, here's a shelf top (above) in a voodoo shop in New Orleans Square.


In the same shop: a shelf of colored glass bottles. Nice, huh?


Above, the Haunted Mansion decked out Tim Burton-style for both Halloween and Christmas. Click to enlarge.

Yikes! I have more pictures but no more space. Oh, well.....


4 comments:

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures. It's great to see the park in detail without the over stimuli of sound and motion. I do however think the pole has a fake giraffe skin, not zebra, wrapped on it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joel: Did I say "zebra?" Yikes! I'll change that!

Stephen Worth said...

You should take up a collection to have your commenters send you to Paris. I'll start the ball rolling by pledging Roberto Severino to donate a cool grand to your fund!

Anonymous said...

lol ^