Tuesday, November 15, 2011

TYPES OF FACES


I thought I'd blog about faces again.

It occurred to me that there are two kinds of faces in the world. In one kind (above) the elements are unified. All the features seem to fit with each other. You would expect a girl with eyes like the ones above to have a small mouth, and a girl with those kind of rounded cheeks to have a rounded nose. Everything harmonizes, as if the face were sculpted from a carefully made blueprint.

Young women in particular have faces like this.



The other type of face (above) is diversified. In this example the lips seem out of sync with the rest of the face. I picked a pretty extreme example just to prove a point. On most women the out of sync quality isn't this drastic, and doesn't detract at all.

Older people tend to be out of sync more than younger people. I guess that's because different parts of the face age in different ways. A face can be in sync in youth, and out of sync in middle age. Oddly enough, extreme old age tends to put the face back in sync again.



In the case of the woman above, whole facial masses are out of sync. The upper half of the face is broad and wide. The lower part is long and slender. She's still pretty. Every detail within the two masses is in sync, only the two large masses are off.



Here's (above) a woman with three major masses that are out of sync: the forehead and eyes are one mass, the cheeks and nose are another, and the mouth and chin are still another. Three separate design groups on one face! I kinda like it.



Here (above) we're back to a unified design again. What harmonizes this face is the repetition of rounded chevron shapes, not only in the details of the face, but in the shape of the jaw.






That's all I have to say about faces. I hope I haven't given the women on the site something to worry about. Most people have out of sync faces after 25 or so...that's what gives them character. Look what it did for Jeanne Moreau (above).



I have nothing else to say about facial structure, but while searching for faces on the net I discovered the interesting pictures above and below, so I thought I'd pass them on.

What do you think of the picture of the two sisters above (click to enlarge)? I like it a lot. It's so happy, so full of good vibes. It brings back pleasant memories of family members I met when I was a kid.



Okay, this is gruesome. Sometime after this picture (above) was taken, this woman was shot in the face with a shotgun. After shooting her, her husband shot himself. Miraculously both survived, but the wife required a facial transplant, possibly the world's first.



Here she is before surgery (above, left), and after (above, right). I assume the swelling in the jaw'll go down when the face heals. If you cover the overly-broad part of the face, you can see that the middle is a big improvement. Maybe I'll donate my face to somebody before I kick the bucket. It won't mean much without the buck teeth, though.





8 comments:

Craig said...

Like a puppy with giant paws, children go through out-of-synch stages as well. They have the Dumbo ear phase, the all-nose phase, and the Chicklets-for-teeth. Little by little they grow into their protrusions.

Jennifer said...

Good post, Uncle Eddie.

With the prevalence of cosmetic surgery outside of Hollywood, it's getting rarer and rarer to see "out of sync" faces, but artificial looking faces are getting more common.

Parents are finding the cash to pay for facial cosmetic procedures for their children to prevent them from getting teased for their looks. I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I can understand a parent's decision to do that. Generally, people of all ages are shallow. If I had a child, I wouldn't want my kid left out by his or her peers or ignored by a teacher because he or she looks unusual.

thomas said...

A little off topic, but on the subject of faces....


messerschmidt

Steven M. said...

This makes me ponder...

Anonymous said...

Related to this topic Eddie,remember the Twilight Zone Episode "Number 12 Looks Just Like You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVo2xifmSw

Vincent Waller said...

Gone, but our faces live on!
Lighting flashes, maniacal laughter!

Anonymous said...

Man, I miss these types of posts, Eddie! You're so observant!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Eddie, look what I just noticed! It looks like your film Tales of Worm Paranoia is being featured on a poster for a film screening/show at ASIFA-Atlanta!

http://www.asifa-atlanta.com/2010/02/bizarro-sat-morn-5-superheroes.html

I think the gag is they're drawing the characters wrong, but even the poster design looks like it's a take off on your film!