Wednesday, March 27, 2013

THE "NOT SO BIG HOUSE" (REVISED)


Here's (above) an interesting book: Susan Susanka's "Creating the Not So Big House." Actually, the kind of houses she's talking about aren't small, they're just not as big as most in their price range. She believes space is wasted in most new homes and people would be happier with a more compact and complex design for the same price. 

The smaller and better-designed house would feel larger than it is. 


As a case in point, here's part of a living room designed by Susanka herself. It's a bit crowded, but I like it. It feels spacious because it affords a tantalizing glimpse into other rooms, and I love the idea of wrapping a staircase around a fireplace.

A word about fireplaces: they're very controversial these days. They're inefficient at heating but they're a powerful symbol and a home just doesn't seem like a home without one. Modern architects often make them freestanding, allowing for access to other rooms on their sides.


Here's a common variation of the freestanding fireplace (not by Susanka). The fireplace is against an interior wall and visual access to rooms on either side is still maintained. It works fine. I wonder why anyone ever put a fireplace against an exterior wall. Half the heat is lost that way.


Susanka calls our attention to this "away room" (above) by architect Bernie Baker. The room is only the size of a small bedroom and it serves as a study or a temporary guest room that's visually connected to the living room and kitchen.


Sometimes an architect is given the task of remodeling an already existing house or room. My guess is that the original design of this workspace (above) was too dark for Susanka's client. I imagine the client thought she'd take out the tiny windows shown above and put in larger ones.


Instead Susanka wisely left the original space alone and installed large windows (above) over another part of the desk. The contrast between the two types of windows must have livened up the space considerably.


This, believe it or not, is simply the entrance to a raised, first floor bathroom. The sink is to the left and the rest is behind a door to the right. I love the beckoning, mysterious window above the towel rack.

This Craftsman-influenced design reminds me how much I prefer American wooden  architecture to what Europeans were turning out after 1920. Bauhaus has to be the most overrated architectural movement in history. Who wants to live in a concrete house that looks like a factory? That's a dumb idea. Americans combined German, English and Japanese influences to create our own version of cozy, comfortable, and meaningful.



Unfortunately Susanka misses as often as she hits. This Libertyville house she designed (above) is full of design flaws. The kitchen lacks character and the master bedroom is awkward and unimaginative.


And the exterior (above)...Ouch! About that, the less said the better. To be fair the side of the house is plain because it'll face another house, but even so..... Oh, well, the book is still worth having for the good parts, and the philosophy expressed there is solid, even if the author applies it unevenly.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bauhaus style is appropriate for architect's studios and graphic design firms, i.e. the kind of environment most of its members worked in. Maybe people like Walter Gropius would have enjoyed living in a house that looked like the office, but I'm not sure most of us would care for that!

Alex said...

Check this out Eddie!

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/07/27/famous-man-caves/

Jennifer said...

I like your architecture posts - I get some design ideas from them.

Off-topic - I thought that you may find this article from the BBC interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21947086. It talks about how animation is getting away from using traditional drawings for the design.

Unknown said...

I like how spacious some of these architecture pieces are. You are correct about Susanka's last few works at the end of the post. Too mechanical for my tastes.

I haven't told my micromanaging control freak of a mom yet, but I've been re-accepted to the university that I had applied for the Spring semester but had to cancel due to bad timing, finances, a crappy computer and other issues. My dad is completely fine with the whole deal of me living in a dorm on my own while my mom wants to keep treating me like a baby and possibly using me as a way to get some money for herself. I hate being part of such a dysfunctional family. If everything goes well, I will be starting classes this summer finally in the electrical engineering program.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Electrical engineering? Wow! That's great! You'll have a lot of fun and get insights into the true nature of the physical world.

Alex: Haw! That's an interesting site. That particular post was an interesting contrast to the architecture in the post I put up. With the exception of Mark Twain's octagon all the manly rooms in your post emphasized interior space and the four walls, as opposed to the not so big house philosophy of complex inner spaces. I've been won over to the compex way, but it was still nice to see how manly men used to live.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: I'm getting called away but I'll read your article this afternoon.

Stephen: I could see that, but you're right...most people would prefer to live in something more cozy.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: I finally read the article you linked to. Sorry it took so long.

Anybody who says that in the present era computer animation can match the comedic and artistic level of drawn animation doesn't know what they're talking about. There's no comparison. Hand-drawn is infinitely more sensitive and funny.

I'm not saying that because I'm a geezer wedded to the technology of my childhood...I'm saying it because it's true. I'm surprised that even techies would disagree with that. It's obvious.

The day will come when computers will be able to write clunky novels and the John Lasseters of the publishing world will announce that they're just as valid as the old human written ones. There's always somebody who'll say things like that.

Sometime down the line computer animation will match and exceed what can be done with a pencil, but that time isn't here yet, and may not be in my lifetime.

Anyway, thanks for the article.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Eddie. I'm going to do everything that I possibly can so I can get out of this house and getting all the help I can get. I have about six weeks to get everything ready for orientation and get my housing registration fees taken care of. My mom won't like it and it's not going to be easy, but it's for her own good. When it gets to the point where I can't even have my own student bank account without her getting angry, it's time to leave because I know it's only going to get worse if I stick around. So much wasted potential sitting around in this apartment all day.

Regrets about the past still loom and if I had known better, I would have just applied to any in state school with the same RETP program for the summer or the fall of last year.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: I could be completely wrong, but it's at least possible that your mother is dragging her feet for a good reason. Sometimes I took hard stands that must have mystified my kids when they were young. I actually had good reasons for doing that, but you can't make logical arguments to someone young who's shot through with hormones that predispose them to believe that any idea you have is stupid.

Not only that, but some of the most profound and character building truths are ones that sound silly in argument. Debate is systemically designed to favor the con or anti-establishment side.

The world outside the house is wonderful, but it's also unheroic, hedonistic, energy sapping, decadent, and anti-intellectual. If you had a good foundation at home you can navigate around some of that, but that foundation needs time to set. Maybe your mother was trying to buy that time for you, even though she had to risk alienating you. Maybe she was fully aware that her actions would create a permanent and (for her) painful rift. Maybe she heroically took that pain on herself to give you a good start.

Or not. Maybe she was just dense or uninformed.

Jennifer: Sorry if my comment came off as harsh. It definitely wasn't meant to be.

Unknown said...

"The world outside the house is wonderful, but it's also unheroic, hedonistic, energy sapping, decadent, and anti-intellectual. If you had a good foundation at home you can navigate around some of that, but that foundation needs time to set. Maybe your mother was trying to buy that time for you, even though she had to risk alienating you. Maybe she was fully aware that her actions would create a permanent and (for her) painful rift. Maybe she heroically took that pain on herself to give you a good start."

I never looked the situation that way. That could be true that she still thinks of me as "her baby boy" rather than an adult 18 year old who can't just sit at home and have no employment prospects or chance of financial independence. That's what I deeply care about at the end of the day. Without income, I have no credit to rent a good house or get a decent contract for a cell phone.

In contrast, my father has no problem with me moving out. In fact, he's encouraging it and I largely agree with him. Sitting at home is counterproductive because I think part of the motivation for my mom is for her own monetary gain even though she won't admit it. This isn't about me trying to have fun or anything. It's about actually having a future and not being on a government check for the rest of my life.

Jennifer said...

Uncle Eddie, I didn't take your comment as harsh at all. I thought the same thing as you when I read the article - I don't think that current technology can replace the nuances of hand-drawing.

Technology has done a lot of wonders in bettering our lives, but I think that people are too quick to think that technology is the be-all-end-all solution to all problems.