Saturday, March 09, 2013

CARICATURIST NATE KAPNICKY


Haw! Here's a funny man at work. The caricaturist is Nate Kapnicky

 I found out about Nate from Aaron Philby. That's Aaron above, drawn by Nate.


 Nate has a proper appreciation of stupidity.

 Give the subject (above) a haircut and a shave and he could pass for a doctor, but the caricaturist is trained to overlook unimportant things like character and intelligence. A caricaturist quests after the ultimate, the summit, the Grail of funny art...I speak of the quality of sublime ignorance.
 Holy Mackerel! The guy looks like a hawk!


 Above and below: two awesome interpretations of the same girl. I like the use of subtle, grainy color in the portrait above.


 Holy cow! Notice that both versions show a fever blister. I know what you're thinking, that it's cruel to show that. It is, and for that reason I wouldn't have done it myself, but in Nate's defence I'll add that a caricature is done for the benefit of the crowd of watchers, as much as for the subject. Watchers like things like that.


 Above, a noble nose.


 Wow! A terrific side view (above)! Man, when you draw one this good you hate to give it away!


 I'm surprised that most caricaturists prefer to draw frontal poses. It seems like side views are usually more funny. Years of mugging in front of a bathroom mirror make most people adept at hiding their ignorance in a frontal pose. Few people, on the other hand,  are practiced in hiding it from a side view.


 Yikes! This kind of caricature (above) is not for the timid!


5 comments:

Invisibules said...

these are all amazing. Now when I try to draw a potrait, it's very hard to make the picture look remotely like the subject. but somehow these gross distortions /do/ look like their subjects. Do you have a theory about where this magic "looks like" quality lives, because it seems it's /not/ in the "correct" proportions and geometrical relationships of the parts...

in awe and wonder...

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Invisibules: My guess is that if you get down a person's 2 or 3 defining characteristics then almost any liberty you take with the rest of the face will be okay...you won't lose the likeness.

Sometimes people have really obvious defining characteristics, like a certain type of glasses or a big jaw. Sometimes they're more subtle, and it takes some digging to find them.

Aaronphilby said...

Hahahahha. Wow! I like what you said about how we don't know how to look good from the side. I never thought of that. I notice sometimes my wife when she looks into a mirror, immediately her expression changes. And I know I do the same thing to a little bit, out of habit. We got that mirror face we snap into.

Kelly Toon said...

You would have a great time at the International Society of Caricature Artists convention, Eddie! I picked up a caricature of myself by Nate Kap the first year I attended, and it is a treasured posession, along with my oil-painting likeness by Marlo Meekins. Trust me, I never knew what a stinger I had until I got my profile drawn by a bunch of artists who were out to have as much fun and to stretch the truth as much as possible.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kelly: You have an oil painting by Marlo and a caricature by Nate? What are you waitig for? You MUST post a link!!!!!