Thursday, August 30, 2012

WHY THE FRENCH DON'T LIKE AMERICANS


I think it's fair to say that Parisians of my generation aren't overly fond of Americans. That's too bad, but it doesn't bother me because the truth is that Parisians don't really like anybody. They don't even like other Parisians. Look at the aloof way they behave to each other on the Metro. In that respect they're like New Yorkers. They have to have a reason to like you.


Oddly enough, if you ask Parisians why they don't like Americans there's half a chance they'll say it's because we're rude. One thing they don't like is the way we treat waiters. Yes, you read it right...the way WE treat waiters!!!!



On entering a store or restaurant Parisians always say "Bonjour, monsieur," or "Bonjour, madame" to the first salepeople they lay eyes on. They frequently say goodbye when leaving. No American does that. Where's our manners, the French wonder? They think we were brought up in a barn.



They also don't like the way we eat. From their point of view we wolf food down like there was no tomorrow. Parisians eat slow, cutting the food first then using the knife to steady the food while they carefully spear it with a fork. Even bananas are eaten this way. You never put down the knife til you're finished eating.



Last but not least...I'll just say it without equivocation...they think we pee too much. Not only that, we always expect to use the bathrooms of others, which they'd prefer to keep private. Parisians learn to hold it in from an early age. The older generation used to maintain public pissotierres, which was great, at least for men, but the new generation removed them. You can use a bathroom in a restaurant, but only if you've bought something substantial first. The consensus is that people of breeding don't use other peoples' bathrooms with frequency.

Interesting, huh?


************************


BTW: Some of what I've said here was written up in a book, "The Sweet Life in Paris" by Lebovitz



9 comments:

tek! said...

The snooty waiters are the best thing about Paris! You are not a paying customer but merely a temporary guest in THEIR restaurant/ terras, you are simply tolerated at the most.

Anonymous said...

Hello Eddie, I discover your blog a few weeks ago, very funny and just a great source for many stuff, thanks !
I discovered a lot of great classic american video, and your video, which are very fuunny. Godd to know your culture.
But I'm french, not parisian, and I have to admitt i kill every waiters who stared a me, like every american. What a weird book source you have...
See you and thank you

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

The couple in the second photo down have the body of a Don Martin character! All they need to complete the look is a shoe with a bend at the tip.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joshua: Yikes! You're right! It makes me want to film a live action Don Martin short!

Tek!: Haw! What you said reminds me of how John Cleese treated people in Faulty Towers.

g.b.: Thanks for the compliment!I went to your blog but most of the videos didn't appear. I liked "Italian Spiderman."

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice on the last post Eddie. I feel like I really know for sure what I want to study in college and I've narrowed it down to either computer science or accounting. Either one would work for me because I don't want to major in anything vague or lacking in educational value like sociology or psychology and I happen to really like science too.

As for the French hating Americians, I always thought there were tons of other people who hated us for our culture and Western values. Don't forget the 9/11 hijackers.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, I think this might be up your alley. Jonathan Meades is a well-known British TV personality who makes documentaries about mostly architecture and travel. Several of his programs are on Youtube, and I encourage you and the readers of Theory Corner to check them out. Here's a link to the most recent one, on France and the French. Episode 3 is about the love-hate relationship the French have for America.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MeadesShrine/videos?flow=grid&view=1

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Yeah, but Americans are grateful to France for past favors. It hurts to be held in low esteem by someone you regard as family.

Stephen: Haw! Thanks for the nice links. I watched parts 1 &2 and will watch the rest tomorrow.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Stephen: Parts3 and 4 did not disappoint! Thanks again for the links!

Luke said...

Hmmm, Eddie, I'd love to hear your assesment of Southern culture. (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, etc....) We aren't rude to waiters, normally. We aren't rude to anyone really

Explain our distaste of yankees.