Friday, July 20, 2012

JOHN K's "CANS WITHOUT LABELS"


John Kricfalusi's gearing up to do a new George Liquor cartoon, "Cans Without Labels," and to judge from the pitches, it promises to be the best thing he'll have done with that character....by far! If the man animates as well as directs then we'll have something for the ages....pure animated joy!


Here's (above) a picture of John attempting to pitch...I'm guessing...a George Liquor cartoon. It's amazing that he can even speak, covered as he is with purple ants running around screaming at their larvae.

The film features old Spumco hands Jim Smith, Eric Bauza, and Gabe Swarr, and new talent: John Kedzie and Sarah Harkey. I'm in there too as the voice of Cigarettes the Cat!

The film also features Mike Pataki as the voice of George Liquor. Mike's always been good with this voice but his performance on this film may be the best thing he's ever done...a career high point. Let me explain.



Mike (above, as a Klingon on Star Trek) was a truly great actor who was rarely used correctly during his lifetime.  His one-of-a-kind gravely voice, his musical delivery, his ability to project personality, and his endless nuance and invention made him unique. I'm amazed that, before John, no one attempted to build a character around him. I was present at the recording for this film and I got a strong sense that Mike felt he was finally working for someone who "got" what he was about. What I saw was an actor at the peak of his power who was determined to give the session 100% of himself, with no holding back.



John had to have been Mike's dream director. John had a definite point of view about things and I think Mike needed that to help him focus. The two complemented each other perfectly. You could feel the respect and affection they had for each other.


And why shouldn't they? Here were two enormously talented people who had subordinated everything to their work, who made enormous personal sacrifices to make the discoveries that they did. Here they were in a studio session, working on a project they both strongly believed in. I had no doubt whatsoever that I that was watching history being made.

Geez, I forgot to talk about the story! That's okay...you can listen to John pitch it himself  on Kickstarter. Here's the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1056985656/john-ks-cans-without-labels


Thanks to Fred Seibert for the picture of John covered with ants.


http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/frederator_studios/tag/john-k/ 



6 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

I can't express how excited I am through text alone for a new George Liquor cartoon and by the sounds of it THE George Liquor cartoon. Thrilled to hear Mikes melodious voice again!

I really hope this gets picked up. It's gaining slowly at least $1000 a day which is a lot but reaching $110, 000 sounds difficult.

Maybe John could use the cartoon as a pitch to show executives what George is all about. Hes been trying to sell the show for years. And why not? He's got characters and stories to fill a warehouse! Why won't the studios give us what we crave??

Anonymous said...

Once I put some money into my debit card and pay off some important stuff with with, then I'll donate to this in a heartbeat! It looks really promising even though I think John should come up with some new characters, not that I don't like George Liquor or anything.

kurtwil said...

My hopes were JK would get takers for his HEARTACHES pitch but George Liquor's near and dear to him and is worthy! Hopefully JK'll get his Kickstarter goal met and the new cartoon made without drama!

Anonymous said...

Eddie, about the question you asked me on the last post, I took sociology because I knew it was a pretty easy class and I could fulfill a requirement at Rutgers pretty easily when I transfer the class over. With that and the AP classes I took, I already have about 12 credits of college out of the way. I could have gotten 3 credits more if I had received a higher score on my AP Government exam but oh well. Either way, I still have a full semester of college out of the way and passed my Gov exam. With the financial aid I got from the Atlanta college, taking sociology was literally free and I got a refund check in the mail.

I'm not going to take filler classes like that when I start school in September though. All of my classes that I signed up for last month are either business related or have something to do with my major, which is the major that you recommended a while back. I am also minoring in a business related field.

JohnK said...

Hi Eddie

thanks for the plug!

If this works out I will make more cartoons this way - I'll try the Heartaches next - and maybe with "My Little Ass" as a bonus.

Zoran Taylor said...

Hey John,

If you're doing "My Little Ass", throw in some references to the new version. I love to see how you would caricature Lauren Faust's designs!