Monday, February 13, 2012

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON FASHION

Boy, women (above) sure like fashion! 


What's in now are thick eyebrows and unibrows. You see them everywhere. Some people attribute that to the influence of Joan Crawford in the forties. Maybe, but my guess is that it started big time with the rediscovery of the feminist communist painter, Frida Kahlo (above). Kahlo did a zillion portraits of herself which not only emphasized bushy eyebrows but also her girl mustache and jaw line hair.


That's Kahlo in real life (above), proudly displaying her mustache.


The Kahlo mustache failed to catch on but, as I said, thick eyebrows are everywhere.


Imagine how that makes girls like this one (above) feel. Lots of girls permanently removed their entire eyebrows thinking that thin, painted on brows were the height of chic, and would be with us til the end of time. Aaaargh! Fashion can be cruel. 


On another subject, I observe that a lot of women still like to knit (above).


And they still knit for their boyfriends (above), too.


On yet another subject, here's an outfit (above) that was around when I was a kid: bottle cap hat, loose top, ultra-tight calf-length skirt, and long, long cigarette holder. It was the "Pepsi Generation" look.

This (above) was around at the same time: Scoop-back dresses with face fish net festooned with little black balls or cloth bugs. John K is obsessed with these bug nets.


The latest fashion is sneakers with toes. They make everybody's feet look like Goofy's. This (above) is the most popular brand: "Vibram Five Fingers." It started as something for barefoot runners but now they're regarded as chic, and even couch potatoes have them. They require socks with toes.

Interesting, eh?




5 comments:

tek! said...

The woman in knitwear is actually an angora/mohair fetishist! Another interesting subject to study :)

Anonymous said...

Haha! Great post. Nice way to end my wonderful day, if only I had a sketchbook to draw all of them on.

Getting closer to getting accepted somewhere, college wise, because of the ones I applied to sent me an email saying that everything looks good and they will send me a decision prior to April 1st. I'll tell you specifically which one when that happens.

Also finished those two books I told you about yesterday, which took me less than a week, and they were really excellent. I'm now convinced that there is too much government intervention in economics and that all its doing is driving the country into more debt and inflation, and weakening the U.S. dollar significantly. Federal Reserve needs to be heavily reformed or abolished and those companies should have never been bailed out to begin with.

Anonymous said...

The one woman looks like she's dressed up as a Teletubbie!

Alberto said...

I saw someone wearing those shoes on the bus about a month or two ago, I thought they were the stupidest most hideous thing I had ever seen, wearing clothing for comfort is one thing when you're just hanging around the house, but when you go out in public I think you should wear ACTUAL pants (not PJ pants), and ACTUAL shoes (not "crocs" or flip-flops). Forgive me if I sound like someones mom but I think you need to show respect for the people around you by dressing properly... like Dovima is in the other pictures.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I liked that Valentine's Day post. Hope nothing bad happened to it.