Sunday, October 23, 2011

RAMBLING THOUGHTS ABOUT "NAKED GIRLS READING"


Here's an interesting idea: "Naked Girls Reading." Books and girls...a nice combination, if it can be made to work...but can it?


I wish the girls would read something a little meatier than the books shown on the posters.



When I said "meatier" I was thinking of something like Tennyson but, come to think of it, I'd really like to hear a poem like the one above read naked...wouldn't you? The poem starts 22 seconds into the video.



Nudity would add so much to a reading like the one Edie Adams gives to the lyrics of this song (above).


I'm a big fan of public readings, and I'm always trying to think of a way to make them commercially feasible. In the past actors and writers used to go on the road with shows that consisted entirely of them doing dramatic readings from their favorite books. The public loved them! I'm grasping at straws, I know, but...is there a chance that Naked Girls Reading could help to make that popular again, at least on a very small scale? 

Aaargh! Probably not. 


The problem here is that these girls are all burlesque dancers, and probably aren't very good readers. Even so, with the right director....



Can you sustain a whole show with possibly bad readings? I wonder. Do the readers ever dance while they read? Would more variety in the program help? Even classical burlesque didn't consist of wall to wall girls. They punctuated the girl acts with comedy. 


Apparently Naked Girls Reading is a franchise. The local organizer is a guy named Vlad the Retailer. He has a terrific sign outside his office (above), so you get the feeling that he must know what he's doing.  Vlad's been doing Girls Reading for at least two years now, more if you include possible promotions for similar ideas, like the one below. 



All over the country promoters are trying to bring back burlesque in one form or another. Sometimes they even combine burlesque with professional men's wrestling. I wish them luck, but I don't think it'll happen on a large scale. Burlesque's time has passed. Now, naked literature on the other hand.....



1 comment:

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

From Eddie: Zero comments!!! Wow! I didn't think I'd ever slide down to zero. Normally that would depress me, but the stats show that the site is getting more hits than it ever has. Strange, very strange.