Thursday, March 18, 2010

STILL THE BEST PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHERS


Hands down, Retro Atelier (link in the sidebar) is still the best portrait studio that I know of. A number of studios do first-rate work with models, but these guys seem to be out to prove that ordinary people can be made to look good in photography, and they make a good case for it.

Disclaimer: er...actually I don't recall that they ever explicitly declared that intention...but my near flawless intuition and ability to read between lines has confirmed that this is the case.

I'm guessing that a number of the photos here are of professional models, but the selection is mine, and I couldn't help myself.



Try to get this effect (above) from your mall photographer.



It must make a portrait photographer's day when a subject with an angular face (above) walks in the door. There's so much that you can do with people like that.



Delightfully and artistically seedy (above).



Wow! I imagine a lot of Photoshopping was done on this (above), but it was time well spent.



This man (above) looks like an old-time gunslinger but I like the suggestion that he's also a laborer.



Amazing! It's hard to believe that this photo (above) is a recent one.



Okay, I'm beginning to realize that all the photos I chose are probably of professional models.



Man! If you were a girl wouldn't you like to be shot by a photographer who could do this (above)?

I love photos that portray people as thinkers. What is she mulling over here? Revenge? Maybe she just realized that her husband has been cheating on her, or that he's caught her cheating. Maybe something puzzling has just been resolved, or maybe she's recalling the events of the day and coming to some realization. Maybe she's composing a letter of great importance.

Alright, alright....I'll concede that a lot of people probably aren't suited for this kind of picture, but I'll bet it would work with more types than you'd expect. I wish I had the time to experiment.



8 comments:

Oliver_A said...

The last picture reminds me of one scene in the 1982 science fiction film Blade Runner:

Rachael smoking

No matter if you like or dislike the story, Ridley Scott and director of photography Jordan Cronenweth created one gorgeous looking film.

talkingtj said...

when i was about 8 my mom dated a guy who was an amateur photographer, he had been professionally publish but not by anyone major, often he used me as a practice model, i had fun i was only 8, today i have those picture in frames, theres tons of them, and theyve gotten more beautiful over the years, so yeah, a talented photographer can make anyone-ANYONE- look great-even without computer effects-this is one of john k's arguments-just do a good job-take pride in your work-put in the effort-and the results will be glorious, obviously, the people at this studio do it all the time.

Lester Hunt said...

I love that site, but I could never figure out what their business is, if any. So you think it's a professional portrait studio. Well that does make sense. They seem to be located in Russia. Their site makes Russia seem like some kind of parallel universe.

Steven M. said...

WOW!

David Germain said...

Wow! These people do an excellent job of recapturing the silver screen look. I would gladly hire them for all sorts of functions.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Oliver: There are some terrific images in that film.

Lester: I think they're Ukranian. It's odd that they don't mention exactly what kind of service they're offering, but they occassionally go on tour and take all their photo props with them, which certainly sounds like something a portrait business would do. The last tour that I'm aware of was to Russia.

A guy I knew who'd been to Russia said that small businesses there frequently try to keep a low profile so as not to attract the attention of organized crime.

Zoran Taylor said...

The last three women (the last two photos) are all the same woman, are they not?

Those are the one, two or three sexiest women I have ever laid eyes on. One hand, both hands or both hands and one foot DOWN.

Anonymous said...

These photos are fabulous! The studio is Russian, interestingly.

Cynthia