Monday, March 15, 2010

"PSYCHIATRIC"


PSYCHIATRIST: "Okay, tell me about this recurring dream that you just had. Don't leave anything out."



DREAMER: "Well, it started as it always does on a beach on a cold and overcast day. The place was almost empty, and I remember wondering where everyone else was. Even in the winter there should have been people walking their dogs. Where were they now?"



DREAMER: "Across the water I marveled at what appeared to be glaciers, but I also wondered how that could be. I mean, there weren't supposed to be glaciers this far South."



DREAMER: "Unable to take the cold any longer, I walked over to a nearby hotel, hoping to get warm in the lobby."



DREAMER: "An employee came to the door. He had a mocking, impudent face, and I could tell that he was going to turn me away, but a voice from inside told him to let me in. He reluctantly opened the door."



DREAMER: "Inside a man with a fedora beckoned me to get into an elevator with him."



DREAMER: "We went to the top floor in silence, and when the door opened...we were in a ballroom! People were dancing lethargically, as if they'd been doing it for a long time."



DREAMER: "The man in the hat pointed to a window."



DREAMER: "I looked outside but didn't see anything special. It was daytime and kids were playing in the street."



DREAMER: "I turned to ask the man what I was supposed to be seeing, but he was gone. It looked like he'd escaped onto the roof."




DREAMER: "I turned to the window again and this time everything had changed. It was dark outside. Somehow night had fallen, and the impossibly thick and expanding glacier I'd seen out at sea was now right outside the window, slowly and inexorably pushing cars and debris ahead of it. At the speed it was going it would only be a matter of hours before the town and everybody in it would be crushed. "



DREAMER: "In a panic I shouted to a man who was on the phone nearby. Nothing I said seemed to matter to him."



DREAMER: "I called to an old woman too, and got big belly laughs in return. She thought it was hilarious."



PATRONS: "Hey, quiet down over there! If you want to shout, go outside!"



BAND LEADER: "Yes, why don't you go? Nobody wants you here."



DREAMER: "I knew it wouldn't do any good to argue, so I made for the stairs."



DREAMER: "On the way down it occurred to me that I might not be the only person who didn't know about the glacier. I thought I'd warn the other people in the hotel, so I frantically knocked on doors. One opened by itself revealing a fat man screaming on a couch. I tried to reason with him but the more I talked, the louder he shrieked."



DREAMER: "Another door opened into a room of people who appeared to be waiting for something. They were indifferent to what I said about the glacier, and seemed to resent my presence."



DREAMER: "Other people just stared."



DREAMER: "The final door opened and revealed...revealed what? What kind of crazy place was this?"



DREAMER: "Out on the street it was dark and there was snow on the ground."



DREAMER: "No use trying to get my car. It was somewhere under the glacier now."



DREAMER: "In the distance I thought I heard a humming and churning noise. I didn't pay much attention at first."



DREAMER: "After a while the sound was deafening. Holding my ears I noticed a shaft of light methodically zig-zagging its way over the sidewalk. When I looked up to find the source I saw it... a round, mechanical thing in the sky, with a searchlight in one eye. It scanned the street, apparently looking for people. I hid behind a pillar til it passed."



DREAMER: "It's a good thing I did because round flying things were soon all over the streets, incinerating every human who couldn't hide fast enough."



DREAMER: "As if that wasn't bad enough, groups of predatory human spotters began to emerge from nearby buildings and joined the hunt. Whenever they spotted a fleeing man they blew a whistle, which summoned the killing machines. How could people do that to their own kind?"



DREAMER: "I saw a group of men on their hands and knees looking at something, and ran over to them to warn them. I did everything to get their attention but to no avail. They were absorbed in watching something in the ice right under their feet."



DREAMER: "I looked down, and sure enough there really was something down there. I know it doesn't make sense, but there were...there were live women under there... and they were beckoning to the men on the surface. "



DREAMER: "These were no ordinary women. Most were stunningly beautiful and they flirted like sirens. A few had the sentimental appearance of beloved and long-dead mothers and sisters. Every man saw the unique woman that he yearned for."



Finally one of the men, unable to restrain himself any longer, reached out and clasped the hand of one of the women.



DREAMER: "He was immediately pulled under the ice and drowned..."



DREAMER: "...as I was a moment later. I remember looking up at the hole in the ice as my lungs filled with freezing water. As it always does in these dreams the hole filled with light as killing machines leaned down and watched me with impersonal interest. I guess with all that thrashing around I put on a pretty good show. "



DREAMER: "And that's it! That's the point where I always wake up. What does it mean? Am I going crazy?"

PSYCHIATRIST: "Crazy? No, no. Not crazy. We'll talk about it next week. I do have to remind you though, that the magazines in the waiting room are for all my patients, and if you continue to take them home I'll have to charge you for them."

THE END

BTW: Many thanks to the excellent blog, "Shadowplay," which is where I got most of these pictures.






23 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And then I woke up."

Jennifer said...

Very creepy and surreal. I liked the simple, realistic ending about the magazines to close the story. I thought that was pretty clever.

I wonder if this could be made into a short film or animated short.

R Yee said...

Frighteningly chilling stuff.

Unknown said...

Nice work, Eddie!

Steven M. said...

That was quite the story, Eddie.

Bravo! *claps*

thomas said...

Nice story...

Just kind of wondering if you begin these at the beginning, or somewhere else? Do you get an idea from an arbitrary image, and then look for more specific images? Really just rhetorical questions....

Your use of the film stills work, because as strange as the plot is, the images have a familiarity to them, which is pretty much what happens with dreams.

pappy d said...

Wow!

Barbasaurus Rex said...

Whew! That was intense and amazing.
The part where the children were playing outside the window and then it changed to dulled landscape reminded me of a scene in the movie "Paper Moon", When Moses Pray is buying Addie a train ticket if you notice when the camera focuses on the cashier there are 3 happy girls playing the background and when the camera goes back to Moses it shows Addie alone morose on the train tracks. Subtle but so effective!

Kelly Toon said...

This is why I keep recommending Jung to you, Eddie <3

Anonymous said...

Eddie you should do a post about Andrei Tarkovski. The Cine-hipsters would really flock to Theory corner after that! Also 'cause 'stalker' which you have referenced in this post, is basically one long dream-sequence.

Anonymous said...

Bergman said of him: "Tarkovsky for me is the greatest [director], the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream"

William said...

Howdy!

Took me some confidence to post this, but I've been reading your blog for years, and a recent entry of mine I thought would tickle. It's the illustrated seven stages of an artistic slump.

http://artistruth.livejournal.com/175451.html

Thanks Eddie! You should have a regular podcast.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon: Tarkovsky really is an interesting director. I just watched some clips of his on YouTube. If The Stalker ever gets put up on YouTube in its entirety I'll try to watch it.

Jennifer: Thanks. I didn't think of doing it as a short til you mentioned it, but it might work.

Rooni, Buzz, Pappy, Jorge, Ashel, Freckled: Many thanks!

Thomas: I got the idea from the dark picture of the cliff that looked like a glacier.

Freckled: I'd like to see Paper Moon again. I haven't seen it since it first came out.

Kelly: I recently got Jung's symbol book from the library, but only had time to spot read in it. What's his best book?

William: Your sketch style is a little like Tom Wolfe's.

Katie said...

Riveting! I love when you write this kind of stuff.

Patty said...

Great story, kept me totally riveted all the way to the end. I really like how you use the pictures to enhance the story, great post!

Zoran Taylor said...

I can't explain or even justify this statement, but I found this post to be even creepier than the majority of classic noir. I never imagined you would TOP the Halloween Nightmare. Sweet mother of froth....

mike fontanelli said...

Okay, I didn't go to Shadowplay, but I think I can identify some of the more obscure scans...

*Allen (Officer Dibble) Jenkins is the face at the door.
*That's the back of James Cagney's head from Jimmy the Gent.
*Paul Whiteman, King of Jazz on the sofa with his shoes on.
*Misc. Weegee tabloid shots of old New York...
*Jimmy Stewart from Vertigo, plus
*Ingrid Bergman from Spellbound, maybe??? (Not too sure about the identity of the other woman with her; it ain't Rhonda Fleming...)

Where's the Big Brother eyeball shot from? That looks like a really cool movie I need to watch...

D Cairns said...

Lovely!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Katie, Patty, Zoran, DCairns: Many thanks!

Mike: Wow! Thanks for the list! Those names sound right. I can't recall what film the picture of the human "spotters" came from. Cairns, who runs the "Shadowplay" site, has a good eye for things like this.

D Cairns said...

The Bergman shot is from Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The eyeball on the TV isn't from Shadowplay so I can't help you with that one. The airships are from a short film I scripted called The Big Forever.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

DCairns: YOU wrote the script for the film the airships were taken from!!??? But those images are brilliant!

The upshot of the airship peaking around the edge of the building was unforgetable, and the long upshot of the airships hovering above the building tops was a perfect contrast. It was all so mysterious and beautiful!

My hat's off to you! Now I've gotta see The Big Forever.

D Cairns said...

Thanks! The directors and the CGI wiz did excellent work with that image, which I don't think was ever scripted. The Athens Sci-fi and Fantasy Film Festival have released a DVD with The Big Forever on it. That's presently the only way to see it.

http://sffrateddvd.wordpress.com/whats-inside-the-dvd/

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

DCairns: I just looked at the promotion for the DVD, which is a shorts anthology. It looks great!