Tuesday, March 10, 2009

THE ONLY MANLY OCCUPATION


I've always thought of men who worked with iron and steel as participating in the work of the gods. That's Thor above. This gigantic picture is on the wall of the Museum of Science and Industry in London.



I like the line in "Jason and the Argonauts" where one of the Greeks marvels that they wondered into the valley where Esphestus crafted the pre-historic giants.



Somehow no other job seems manly to me. I mean a man produces things, doesn't he? It's our job to reach into the ground, lift up tons of iron ore,  and make magnificent, impossible things out of it.



I always thought of iron as a mysterious metal that came to Earth from outer space. Isn't it true that the iron in the Earth's core came here via meteor and asteroid collisions?

The picture above is of Mercury, which has an unusually large core of iron.  Maybe the whole planet is the core of a planet whose mantel was blown away. Click to enlarge.



I like the way iron can be used to craft delicate art objects like these iron shop signs (above) in Salzburg. I read that artisans competed to see how far their signs could stick out over the streets without falling down. 



Even the MacDonald's in Salzburg has a beautiful iron sign.



Iron gates (above) are especially beautiful. What an interesting counterpoint to tile, stone and stucco!



And what silhouettes (above) they make!



I like greenhouses (above) with their walls of glass and iron. There's something very civilized about them.



It's odd that something as heavy and industrial as iron (above) should set off something as delicate as plants so well.



Iron is a fearsome instrument of war. Here (above) iron (or mostly iron) canons cast a shock wave on the water.



I'd hate to be on the other side of this (above) barrage.



Ever since the Industrial Revolution iron has symbolized heavy industry. What would Esphestus have thought of this (above)?



Giant iron gears (above) have always fascinated me,  though I can't help but wince when I think of the fate of anyone caught in them. 



It's amazing that iron steam engines can be so powerful and useful, and still be works of art at the same time.



We're just frail little bags of guts, but we like to work with the heaviest, most brutal and inhuman materials imaginable. 



I wish I could have seen the first elevated trains (above).



When I was a kid it took all my will power and a zillion threats from my parents and teachers to prevent me from playing on the urban train tracks.



The "El" stations (above) all looked like the beautiful, pseudo-expressionist train stations that Germans built in the 19th century. I hope that cities that are lucky enough to have these stations still in operation will resist plans to tear them down.



9 comments:

Justin said...

A fascinating post here!

Perhaps the manliest of all jobs, but the ONLY manly job? What about a lumberjack, or a cartoonist who worked on Ren and Stimpy, or, I don't know... a mad scientist?

Oh, and Eddie, will The Smoker ever return?

Ian Merch! said...

I live around Chicago, a city with a functioning "L" line that the city refuses to fund. It's kind of in disrepair, but a lot of people in the city rely on it to get them to and fro. They've got sleeker aluminum and steel trains now. I couldn't even fathom riding on an awesome old school steam locomotive along the city.

paraton said...

Why don't you post drawings anymore?

pappy d said...

I'm with you, Eddie. I used to think cartooning was pretty butch, but I'm ready for a career change. As long as I don't have to mine, smelt or mill the stuff.

In fact, I'm not up for any of the dirty jobs, but I stand ready to offer my conquering mastery & my indomitable will.

Anonymous said...

I worked in an iron foundry last summer. There is nothing quite else like the inside of one, for better or worse.

The industrial scale, lighting, and the gray dust in the air and on the walls sure gave me some ideas though. It was like working inside a Fleischer cartoon background.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Phantom, Paraton: The Smoker will return, I'm just too strapped for time to do it right now. Ditto drawings.

Hans: I've been in factories where gray dust hung in the air. That can't be safe to breathe.

Patrick McMicheal said...

"I AM THOR...I've been ek-ther-thizing all day"
One of my favorite "THOR" quotes! ( say with a lisp).

pappy d said...

Hans:

As a teenaged steelworker, it gave me the idea to pursue an art career. the last summer I was there it hit 115 degrees on the floor.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is the only manly job. Coal mining comes close, though, I'd say.



I work with aluminum and steel, I hope that counts for something. And I've eaten many a grey dust cloud in my day.