Friday, March 06, 2009

AMATEUR vs. PROFESSIONAL SMOKERS


It's a sad fact that most smokers don't know how to smoke.  I don't smoke myself  because I don't want to get cancer, but I hate to see a good cigarette wasted by the neglect of amateurs. It's the uncomfortable feeling you get when imagining a thoroughbred horse pulling a milk wagon.

Here (above) the cigarette is held at such a drastic angle that the tobacco is fuel-starved, and fails to produce interesting strings.  Not only that but the smoke in her mouth is pushed out in a vague and artless haze, with no attempt to give it shape.
  


You have to give this smoker (above) points for trying, though she too is an amateur. She senses the potential in the smoke but doesn't know how to shape it. She just lets it roll out and do whatever it wants to do.



Now HERE'S a professional! The cigarette is held level, producing living strings and nebulas. The puff produces robust, philosophical shapes depicting...depicting what? Maybe ghosts at war with each other. 



Nebula's (above) are fun, but they use up the cigarette really fast. Better have lots if you're going to smoke like this.

This is a funny way to smoke because the favorite resting place for a nebula is the head of a near-by non-smoker.



A true genius (above) at work! She launches the tumultuous Four Horseman of the Apocalypse under a canopy of morphing jellyfish strings. What does it all mean? The smoker invites us to ponder.



Cigarettes are so eager to please.  Sometimes they'll go into overdrive, creating mysterious dramas and tragedies for us when we're not even paying attention.



Here the professional experiments with a haze that unexpectedly produces menacing tentacles.

Notice the interesting dramas which are unraveling in the strings. Note too, the intriguing "smoking gun"-type smoke emerging from the back of the cigarette. 




Some smokers don't puff much. They're content to hold the cigarette still and watch the strings unravel slowly and languidly. Others hold the cigarette still but will deliberately avoid looking at it. It's enough for them to know that the strings are there, unwinding and creating characters and stories that will last only a few moments then experience unchronicled death. 



Let us end this with one more glimpse at the professional smoker (above), gloriously creating stories in the sky. Here the nebulous haze ejected from the mouth meets a stone wall created by the updraft carrying the strings. The nebula, having no place to go, collects into itself all the haze behind it, which it attempts to re-form into a great drama. Above it, a second nebula, also trapped in the strings, attempts to carve out a life for itself. "I want to live!" it seems to say, but it's futile life is soon snuffed out.  

Fascinating!


20 comments:

Ryan G. said...

As a regretful smoker myself, I love the thick billowing smoke. You need great lighting to see it though. Indoor with natural light coming in is perfect for capturing great thick smoke.

JohnK said...

That was sheer poetry, Eddie. You should win a prize for this essay.

A.M.Bush said...

geez, and here I am trying to quit. this kinda writing dont help me none

Ian Merch! said...

I've always found smoking an interesting habit myself. In the hands of the right person it accentuates their being. It makes a manly man manlier, it makes a sexy woman sexier, and it makes a nervous person even more jittery. BUT it gives you cancer. And now it counts heavily against you with the MPAA. It's not for me - I'm a huge cheapskate, even in a state with a very low cigarette tax it's still too rich for my blood, and also I'm not a big fan of lung cancer. Go figure!

Hans Flagon said...

Beautiful!

However, I must point out, the first one you point out as expert for the sake of the essay, is the first one I would call amateur, for the sake of reality. (maybe thats your point as well)

No one that smokes, as part of their own addiction and habits. lets the smoke hit them in the eyes. In fact, the less smoke about them, the more they smoke (as nicotine fiends), but the less they smoke (as creators of wispy patterns in the air, the subject smoker as described in your essay) A bit of a paradox that those that smoke the most smoke the least.

I occasionally see fake smoking in films, not like the good old days where the actors actually huffed them down anyway. Tatum O'Neal won an oscar for Best smoking, and saying shithouse by a ten year old girl, but she was not the most realistic smoker.

lastangelman said...

Though it's been an awfully long time since I smoked a cigarette, I have never said I quit smoking, only that I have stopped smoking. Quitting implies an attempt at finality. Stopping implies no such thing, especially if you fail at quitting. Stopping is like taking a break, a pause for the cause, a cessation of intoxicants, so to speak. If I ever take up the fatal weed (not this weekend - cough, cough - chest congestion) again, it would be perhaps like becoming re-acquainted with an old partner-in-crime, recalling youthful shenanigans, foolish antics, loony capers, but also cherished moments of relaxed untroubled reflection, self-examination abetted by uncorked and unbottled transcendental spirits, à la balcony scenes in the comedy drama Boston Legal between the characters Alan Shore and Denny Crane. After such a brief dalliance, I would once again put them aside, as a reminder of wilder and less restricted times, before responsibility reared its head, tapped me on the shoulder, and said, "Uh-uh!"

Which reminds me of an oldie but goodie:
I used to gamble on the ponies, but circumstances made me cut it out.
I used to chase after women like a wolf after sheep, but circumstances made me cut it out.
I used to stay up all hours of the night, carousing at night clubs, but circumstances made me cut it out.
I used to drink booze like water through a fish's gills, but circumstances made me cut it out.
And, yes, I used to smoke three packs of Luck Strikes and five Roosevelt cigars a day, until circumstances made me cut it out.

And as circumstances have dictated, I have now been reduced to cutting out ... PAPER DOLLS!
mad cackle
HA!HA!HA!HEE!HEE!HEE!HO!HO!HO!HA!

Austin Papageorge said...

I don't know Eddie... I wouldn't feel comfortable rhapsodizing about something so harmful as smoking.

Mick said...

it is good to bring this subject to the debate and you do indeed wax lyrically without doubt... however it is worth pointing out to the commentors here that smoking does not automatically equal cancer. Plenty people who never smoked have developed cancer the same as plenty people who smoked all their lives have not developed cancer. Scare mongering is rife, is it not true that in the 1930s pretty much everyone was lighting up constantly, I don't know the figures but I am sure that there was less incidence of lung cancer than we have now with smoking very much on the wane. Figure that if you can. Car fumes are more likely to give you lung cancer than cigarettes. Go jogging in a city three days a week and see what colour your insides go.

Also, Eddie dear fellow, I would have enjoyed a few film noir shots of real champion smokers in this observation

Anonymous said...

I used to smoke... and drink.

Now I blog!!!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Gotta make the cd of this! Everyone should hear the way it sounds out loud!

Anonymous said...

If William S. Burroughs were alive to read your words, Eddie, people would not be able to hold their fudge.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Ian: What is the MPAA?

John: Haw! Thanks much!

Hans: I wondered about that. People who chain smoke sometimes don't seem to enjoy it very much, or take much trouble with it.

Last: Boston Legal? Thanks for the link! I'll look it up!

Kali: Yeah, John did a killer reading of it last night! I wish I'd gotten it on tape!

Oppo: I don't really recommend that anyone begin smoking. I just wish the ones who are driven to do it anyway would do it right!

AM: Now I feel guilty!

Mick: Are there really champion smokers? I thought I was making that up!

Hans Flagon said...

Ian, are you saying the motion pictures ratings board (MPAA), will shift a rating one way or another depending on how much -smoking- is involved?

Trying to find G rated movies that included smoking might be a nice scavenger hunt, if so.

Anonymous said...

"I don't know Eddie... I wouldn't feel comfortable rhapsodizing about something so harmful as smoking."

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Chambers said...

Great post, Eddie!

Just wondering, and this is probably un-PC, but here goes: does anyobody know any blind people who smoke? I think a large part of the enjoyment of smoking is to do with the visual effect of the smoke, which blind people are impervious to.
Of course it could be just that having matches or a lighter around isn't a very good idea if you can't see.
Eddie - how about a post on other forms of smoking, ie. cigars, pipe, cigarette in holder, etc?

Ricardo Cantoral said...

I smoke Cigars occasionally. Just like anything life, you have to keep doing it to get better. Once you get use to that smoke in your lungs, you can play around with how you want to exhale it.

Mick said...

champion smokers would include...
Humphrey Bogart
Serge Gainsbourg
Belgians
Peter Lorre (on occasion)
Groucho Marx
Peter Falk
Darts players
Picasso

Peter falk is such a champion smoker that his face has evolved to accomodate his habit. It has become a well ordered device for displacing smoke from the eye area.

Marlo said...

thnx for posting this, Eddie!

Anonymous said...

The best smokers were the Rat Pack, raised to an art form, symbolically cool.No competition.

Sandra M. Lopes said...

Thank you for elevating smoking to an art :) As a mere amateur myself, I enjoy learning the possibilities opened up by pro smokers — as much as I enjoy smoking itself. These examples you present, beside the pure delightful poetry of your imaging, also give a lot of encouragement for us amateurs!

And tackling such a politically incorrect theme is actually quite daring. Congratulations!