Monday, March 26, 2007

MY ANALYSIS OF THE "NAKED CITY" CLIP



Alright, I watched the chase clip ("Naked City," above) again and here's my very tentative analysis....

The villain represents evil, an evil that had successfully hid itself inside the body of the city, but which is now isolated and squeezed out into the outside world. I love the opening shot: the evil demon is now isolated against the huge abstraction of the white billboard. He'd like to ferret back into the city again but he can't, it won't accept him. He runs into an arcade of some sort but the crowd goes about its own business and offers him no shelter. He adjusts his hat on the way out but I like to think that he's tipping his hat to the ladies, pathetically trying to ingratiate himself, but that no longer works.

On the sidewalk we track along with him as he takes big, confident strides down the streets. I LOVE tracking shots like this! That technique helped to kill film comedy but it was a big shot in the arm for drama. Now we see evil in it's full glory, confident and contmptuous of the human beings surrounding it. But he has to stop to pretend to look at a tie...maybe he's not as in control as he thought. A policeman rudely stops him in his tracks. The humans have the upper hand! From this point on we think of him as a fox frantically fleeing the hounds, his doom pre-destined.

He enters the enclosed stairway leading up to the bridge, a Joseph Cambell-type symbol for gates of Hell. The gates are guarded by a dog which bites him...more Cambell! He shoots the dog and runs up onto the wide bridge walkway. People run out of his way, everybody knows he's evil now. The music is frenetic! In what I consider the best shot of the film we see him running away from the distant city down the surreal landscape of a vast, concrete runway. The sheltering city is closed to him now. The fool thinks he can escape into Hell!

Well, the clip ends there, just about. That's my take on it.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor villian he looks so tired running there in the end ...
i have a soft spot for villians :P

katzenjammer studios said...

Haha, the mother saves the child from the villain's path! Over dramatized! He's like a freight train, and absolutely nothing can stop him.

I'd definitely have to check this one out!

Hammerson said...

Awesome! Very perceptive analysis, and it really makes me want to watch "The Naked City" right now. I haven't seen it for several years.
You should make this a regular feature on your blog: UNCLE EDDIE'S FILM OF THE WEEK :-)

Lester Hunt said...

I love the idea of the subway entrance as the gates of Hades guarded by a fierce dog. I had always liked the detail of the shooting of the blind man's dog just because it made the villain look so brutal - and desperate! But this makes it even better.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Everybody: Thanks, guys! I didn't get much of a response on this so I guess it's not a subject that interests everybody. I love it myself.

I don't think I could do a film-of-the-week type commentary because I don't know how to upload and I'm stuck with using what people have already put on YouTube

Anonymous said...

jorge,

"Fast Food Nation", the BOOK was good for the same reason the print version of "The Kid Stays in the Picture" was - the hardcopy versions named names. The films chickened out.

Kali Fontecchio said...

Jorge, I'd like to congratulate you on your recent grammatical progress. We are all very proud of you. Really.

Max Ward said...

Making a movie based around Weegee's photographs? Brilliant!

If this post wasn't as popular as you liked, it might be because it has alot of text and the text is a bit complicated. Not complicated as in poorly written, but as in hard to comprehend. People don't think on as high of levels as you do.

Personally, I love this post.

Max Ward said...

I might have sounded like an arrogant asshole in the comment I made above. I apologize, I'm not telling you what to do, only giving my two cents.

I wouldn't dare give orders to a man with such a high caliber of brilliance.

Anonymous said...

Kali,

Sarcasm doesn't become you.

Your Biggest Fan,

Jorge Garrido

P.S. :P

J. J. Hunsecker said...

The running man isn't the villian of the picture, the dog is!! The seeing eye dog in the film represents Hitler -- a german shepard as the shepard of Germans, who BLINDly follow their leader. The Hitler dog wants to send the man -- who represents society's outcasts -- to the gas chamber, hence the symbolism of the subway train. See, it was the trains that took victims to the concentration camps. ISN'T IT OBVIOUS?!?



(Just kidding...)

Anonymous said...

WOW! You got all that from that clip?

I'll have to buy it now, to see it a little closer.

Yeah Eddie, It does take a while to upload a clip, unless you have super fast internet service.

If your computer has a capture card in it or dvd ripping software, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Compress the file, I've used the Divx program it does well. There are others.

And then go to YouTube or Daily Motion or other webvideo sites, read their instructions on how to upload to their system.

It seems hard at first, but, you could learn it in no time. I taught my grandfather to make cd's of his own bluegrass music and he is 79 years old.

Kali Fontecchio said...

I wasn't being sarcastic, actually. Jeese!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Max: Thanks for the feedback! i wasn't insulted at all, just grateful!

Hunsecker: LOL!

AB: Thanks! I never heard of a capture card before! I'll take your advice and read the uploading info on the sites you mentioned!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin Koch said...

Eddie, here's a belated respone - I LOVE posts like this! Your blog is great, and keep up the sequence analyses.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kevin: Thanks! I was considering dropping the film analysis posts but since a few readers seem to like it I think I will do it once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Clip is down. :(