Tuesday, January 09, 2007

THREE OF MY FAVORITE CLASSIC BOOKS

Here's the book (above) that influenced me more than any other: "Hamlet." I'd read Shakespeare in school and liked it but never gave a second thought to it after the assignments were turned in. One day, when I was 17 or 18, a friend and I took in Olivier's Hamlet at a revival house. I wasn't expecting much, I was just curious to see why other people liked it. Well, the curtain went up and I've never been the same since. When the film ended I could hardly stand. My friend and I walked home in silence. Neither one of us had the words to articulate the new and wonderfull thoughts the film had put in our heads.

I can truthfully say that I've never had a day in my adult life when I didn't think, at least briefly, about this play. I compare every book, film, song, bubble gum comic, and conversation, to it. It's the standard that I use to determine if the media I'm thinking about is "good enough." Actually I had one other experience like this, which was when I saw Clampett's "Great Piggy Bank Robbery" for the first time, but we're talking about books so I'll leave that for another day.


Like everyone else I've been reduced to tears by this story (above) many times. The candlestick scene is one of the greatest in all of literature. The story is especially important to me because I think it revealed my own true self to me. Before I read this I used to imitate what other people did and seemed to have success with, even if it felt hard-edged and out of character to me. After reading the story I realized that I was a Hugo kind of character, sentimental and earnest, and that life strategies that worked for other personality types probably wouldn't work for me. Frankly if I could chose my personality I think I'd pick something different but these are the cards I've been dealt and Hugo taught me to accept them.


"David Copperfield" (above) and Boswell's "Life of Johnson" (below) both taught me the importance of character in all the meanings of that word. One sense requires a layering and a balancing of interesting traits that don't always fit comfortably together. The other sense indicates reliability and guts. I don't have these characteristics but I'm grateful for the push in that direction provided by these books.


I also like the way England is described in these books. You get a sense of a rough, brutal place which is somehow struggling to give birth to something really impressive and worthwhile.

Well, that's it. I should add that I picked these pictures from the internet based soley on the attractiveness of the covers. If you're going to read these books then you should shop around for the the best type styles, editing and translations. For the Boswell book start with the part about a third of the way through where Boswell meets Johnson then, when you've read to the end, go back and read the first third. You might want a slight abridgement of the Hugo story.




14 comments:

mike fontanelli said...

Um, those are 4 books, Eddie!

I've never read the Boswell/Johnson bio - but I've read the other three. Hamlet is by far the best. You can't consider yourself culturally literate unless you've read it at least once, and it takes more than one reading to fully absorb it.

I saw the Olivier version years ago in college, and I remember being a little irritated by the liberties he took with the text - mostly the omissions. (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are missing altogether, for one thing. Their comeuppance is one of the highlights of the play.)

Shakespeare purists prefer the Kenneth Branagh version because it's the complete text. But the truth is it's not nearly as good - the stupid casting pretty much sinks it. (Robin Williams and Billy Crystal playing Shakespeare? What, wasn't Soupy Sales available?)

Les Miserables has been filmed at least 6 times, but I've never seen any of them.

David Copperfield has never really been successfully filmed, although the 1935 version comes closest. It's hard to dislike any film that has W.C. Fields in it. He's perfect as Mr. Micawber, and true to the spirit if not the letter of Dickens, (unlike the stunt casting of Robin Williams and Billy Crystal.) Basil Rathbone and Edna May Oliver are equally good.

Lester Hunt said...

My dear Uncle Eddie,

Thanks for this list, and highly instructive comments. It seems to tell us so much about you, too.

When you said that "Hamlet" influenced you like no other book, I was alarmed at first. Which character could have infuenced you? Hamlet (yikes!)? Laertes (boooring!)? Ophelia (Sylvia Plath, phone home!)? Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern (haha! good one!)? But it turns out that what it influenced was your views of the arts. Now that makes sense.

Your advice about Boswell's Johnson (begin reading at the point where Boswell meets him, and return to the beginning later) is excellent. I second it. I third it too, if that happens to be a legal move.

Peace and love,

L,

Jenny Lerew said...

Mike, You'd love the Boswell "Life". Seriously---not only was Johnson a genius, but his interaction with adoring Boswell and the fact that Boswell had no problem with putting down each & every putdown Johnson gave him(although sometimes he does grouse about it)are so incredibly interesting, witty and hilarious that it's one of the two or three or four books I've read in my life out of thousands where I laughed out loud--repeatedly. Usually at 2 in the morning because I couldn't put it down and sleep.
It's realy that good. And it is the great description of Georgian London ever.

Lester Hunt said...

Not only is the Life of Johnson laugh-out-loud funny, but it is huge. Which means that for a slow reader like me, reading it is a long-term project. Always more of the Mr. Oddity show to look forward to!

Andrew Moore said...

How serendipitous! Someone e-mailed me this morning a quote from Samuel Johnson:

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must
first be overcome."

I was just about to look into who this Samuel Johnson guy was when I checked your blog, Eddie. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Hal Needham is now filming the definitive version of Les Miserables, starring a Dodge Charger, a Plymouth Fury and Burt Reynolds' latest toupee.

mike fontanelli said...

Wow, that's some recommendation, Jenny. Onto my Amazon list it goes...

Crumpled Up John! said...

Hey Eddie! What about Fahrenheit 451? Considering Ray loves you so much. Or is leaving it off of your list your way of getting even?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Crumpled: I like Farenheit and it's definetly worth reading but it isn't in the same class as the books I mentioned. I'll bet Bradbury would agree.

On the other hand, if it has special meaning for you then you should defend it against all comers, including me. As Bradbury says, never let anybody talk you out of something you love.

Shawn Dickinson said...

>>As Bradbury says, never let anybody talk you out of something you love. <<

My favorite book is Harpo Speaks.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jorge: I don't think the big, super issues in that play are as fun to think about as the smaller questions it raises.

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to take 2 Shakespeare classes in college, not because of the commentary or critical analysis of the plays, but because it forced me to read almost all of them. Except for the later, crappier ones. Plus, we got to see several productions, including one at a small elementary school by a traveling troupe.

The bitterest side-effect was, our teacher assigned us to watch some of the movie adaptations. My favorite play has always been "MacBeth," so I was determined to watch a version of that. The professor said, sure, knock yourself out but avoid at all costs the Roman Polanski version.

"Sure, the witches are nude in it, but believe me, they're not anyone you want to see naked."

But I was hooked by the words "nude" and "naked," so that's the one version I sought out.

Only to discover he was right.

Do you have any idea how many more books Art Garfunkel has read than you, me and everyone else on this blog put together since 1968? There's a list on his official site.

Funny how Paul Simon hasn't read as many.

Craig D said...

Wow! What an amazing coincidence! I read a book once, too. It's like we're twins or something!

Elliot Cowan said...

"also like the way England is described in these books. You get a sense of a rough, brutal place which is somehow struggling to give birth to something really impressive and worthwhile."

I've lived in the UK for 6 months now and can report it's still the same.