Sunday, August 20, 2006

MY FAVORITE COLOR REFERENCE

Here's my favorite wheel (above). Sorry for the condition. I bought it in the 80s and it's been stepped on, spilled on, ripped and repaired many times since. It may be out of print now. The copyright name is just an address: Box3193 Amarillo, Texas 79106.

Here's my second favorite (above). It's a reminder that there are warm and cool versions of every color.
Here's the version (above) currently sold in the art stores in my area. I took off the rotating wheel and use it as a single card.Here's the Itten wheel (above): Shades on the outside and tints on the inside. 'Not that useful for what I do but I have it on my wall anyway because it's so beautiful and mysterious! I should put up a Munsell wheel too but I can't find one that I like.

6 comments:

Max Ward said...

What do you like about the first one that makes it your favorite?

mantoe said...

thanks for the color reference. I was just dong some practice coloring that was going to be posted on my blog today. needless to say, i have downloaded them for educational purposes.

mantoe said...

p.s. a google search uncovered this 'dial a color' color wheel

http://www.misterart.com/store/
view/001/group_id/2231/
Art-Enterprises-Dial-A-Color-Wheel.htm

i guess i will be purchasing one for educational purposes =)

Anonymous said...

I did so much Desktop publishing for black and white, I lost (or never developed) any color sense I may have had.

But teaching others the illustration software, I would see some color use I would disagree with (colors the same values, overreliance on primaries and their secondaries), that I developed a little rule of thumb as a hint to them. Buffer colors. Don't make those colors clash (unintentionally), just use a tint or shade, something a tad more neutral, in between the strong colors you want to use. While keeping compliments in mind.

Good Job.

I recall seeing some rather convoluted 3d representations of color space, that, although they made sense, may have been a bit overwrought. But they are probably still available as posters for the graphic artist.

Ryan Khatam said...

that first color wheel is really a nice one

Kali Fontecchio said...

I have that thing....

No! Not Musell!! For a while I got hooked on Pantone brcause of Tria markers, and then photoshop had pantone built into it- which made life easy for matching markers to computer.