Saturday, July 01, 2006

HEADS THAT ARE GRAPHIC STATEMENTS!


It seems very odd to me that some people choose to make a graphic statement out of their head. Even more odd is the fact that some people deliberately choose to make their heads resemble favorite objects or foods. I call your attention to the man above who appears to have modified his upper body and head to resemble a salt shaker.


Here's a guy (above) who's made his head into a mushroom. A mushroom is a friendly, simple and sophisticated food which I guess makes it appealling as a head shape.


This man (above) appears to be paying tribute to the humble, flacid penis.


Here's (above) two feather dusters, one facing down and the other facing up. I kinda like feather dusters too but I don't think I'd want to look like one.

Here (above) is a head modeled on the cap of a Bic pen. People really like these objects. A modern pen cap has no threads and no clickable button like old ballpoints used to. A modern cap is simple and useful and these qualities appear to have attracted admirers who wish they could be pens. It's a real tribute to the product designers (I know bobbed hair goes back to the time before Bic pens but I assert that the bobbed hair enthusiasts of our day do it for a different reason than their predecessors).


The simple egg has it's admirers and imitators. My guess is that the individual above used to dye Easter eggs when he was a kid and it was such a pleasurable experience that he decided to be an Easter egg when he grew up. He's not alone. Lots of people try to be their favorite foods.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Success

Anonymous said...

Success

Ryan G. said...

You forgot the curly fry girl hair.. where did you get these pictures? theyre hillarious

Anonymous said...

It is a lineup from Chester Gould's 'Dick Tracy.'

Anonymous said...

where did you get these pics?

Randi Gordon said...

Ha ha ha! To this group I'd add Lance Armstrong, who, by maintaining a buzz cut, lets the world know he was raised on Krakus canned ham.

http://www.vg.no/bilder/bildarkiv/1115909575.16407.jpg

http://www.andysdeli.com/shop/images/Polish%20Brand%20Cooked%20Ham_Szynka%20Polska.jpg

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Ryan, Kali: The pictures came from a book called "1,000 Faces on 42nd St." It's the best photo reference book for frontal caricature that I know of.

My suspicion is that this will not be a popular post. It occurred to me after writing it that half my readers might have a secret desire to be a salt shaker or a pen. Gee, I didn't mean what I said to be taken as a criticism. I mean, it's better to be a graphic than to be boring. As a sometime caricaturist I can tell you that I appreciate it when mushroom and egg people walk in the door.

Eddie

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Oops! The correct name of the photo book is "1,000 on 42nd Street" by Neil Selkirk.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

The third guy down is dick head

till next time,
Drew

Trevour said...

That first guy is scaring the crap out of me. I keep going back and he's making me more uneasy by the minute. Will I ever salt-shake again...?

Rich Tomlinson said...

haa haaaa, thanks for making me spew my coffee everywhere!

EAger to Offend said...

I cannot believe that this wasn't a hotter topic. My face, neck, and shoulders are all tight from laughing so hard for so long, and my face is covered in tears.

Cheers Eddie!! I'm now doomed to failing at conversation for the rest of my life because I'm too busy trying to find out what graphic symbol someone has sculpted themself after. ...except for salt shakers, whom I will recognize at once!